Policies, Bylaws & Regulations
Policies and Procedures
In 2009 the Board of Education for School District 46 – Sunshine Coast underwent an external review to ensure its organizational structure best supports student success. The review recommended a new, cohesive governance model that would reflect the Sunshine Coast community going into the future. In response, the board restructured its policies around clear roles for the board and administration, clear delegation of responsibilities to administration, and strong, community-based vision, mission, values and strategic planning set by the elected Board. In support of considered, ethical and strategic stewardship of all aspects of School District 46, the Board is ultimately responsible for all district policy, which is divided into three areas:
- Governance policies are general in nature and are set by the Board of Trustees to articulate and define important objectives, principles or values; and to define roles, responsibilities and authority.
- Bylaws are passed by the Board of Trustees to clearly set out the specific rules, not covered by legislation, by which the Board will be governed. Bylaws are also legally required for budgets, capital projects, disposal of lands and school closures, but these specific bylaws are not presented as part of district policy.
- Administrative regulations are operational in nature and allow for consistent and effective operations in an organization or a department. The Board delegates administrative regulations to the Superintendent of Schools to develop in a transparent process that includes community input.
Browse Board Policies and Bylaws
The following Board Policies and Bylaws govern School District 46 – Sunshine Coast.
- Foundational Statements
- Role of the Board
- Role of the Trustee
- Role of the Chair
- Role of Board Committees
- Trustee Orientation and Professional Development
- Trustee Donations
- Conflict of Interest
- District Administration
- Role of the Superintendent
- Role of Secretary Treasurer
- Annual Budget Development
- Evaluation of District Administration
- Decentralized Decision-Making
- Neighbourhood Schools
- Environmental Sustainability
- Local Purchasing
- Partnerships and/or Corporate Sponsorships
- SOGI-123 Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity Brochure
- District Email
- Whistle Blower Protection
- Role of Parent Advisory Council / District Parent Advisory Council
50-62. Procedural Bylaws:
Browse Administrative Regulations
Circulating Regulations and the Regulation Response Form
Response forms should be completed and returned to the school district office either by email to: email@example.com, by fax to: 604-886-4652, or by mail to: School District 46, PO Box 220, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V0.