Kindergarten on the Sunshine Coast
School District 46 invites parents of children entering Kindergarten in September to register their children at the elementary school serving their area.
To register, please visit your catchment area school’s office or begin the process with our online registration form and consent forms.
The following must be supplied before registration can be accepted:
- Proof of age for students new to the B.C. school system (Birth Certificate, BC Identification, BC Services Card, Immigration Papers, Passport or notarized proof of age)
- Proofs of address (Primary Proof: Mortgage Statement, Municipal Tax Bill, or Rental Agreement. Secondary Proof: Driver’s License, Recent Utility Bill, or Recent Credit Card Invoice)
Kindergarten students must be five years of age on or before December 31st.
To ensure that your child is able to attend your neighbourhood school, it is essential that you register!
Full Day Kindergarten is available in ALL School District 46 Elementary Schools.
Indigenous Learning Welcomes you to Kindergarten! Why does the Registration Form ask about Indigenous ancestry?
For more information on preparing your child for Kindergarten, please read the SD46 Kindergarten brochure.
Kindergarten students throughout the District will have a gradual entry as this allows our youngest students an opportunity to settle in to their formal school experience with a few more days to adjust. The Kindergarten Gradual Entry schedule is as follows:
First Week: September 7-11, 2020:
- Monday & Tuesday: No school for kindergarten students.
- Wednesday to Friday: Kindergarten students attend for 1 hour/day. Schools will notify parents as to exact times.
Second Week: September 14-18, 2020:
- Monday to Friday: Kindergarten students attend for 3 hours/day.
- The Kindergarten teachers will notify parents as to exact times.
Third Week and Continuing: September 21, 2020 and on
- Students will come for a full day each day.
Dear Parents of Children Entering Kindergarten,
Your child is on a wonderful journey.
Your child is unique. No other child in the world said the same first word at the same moment as yours. No other child learned to walk in exactly the same way or at exactly the same time. No other child has had identical experiences, thoughts, interests or ideas. You know your child’s strengths and needs better than anyone.
As parents, you have firsthand knowledge of how your child learns. You have observed your child’s constant, active attempts to make sense of the world. As your child’s first teacher, you have helped your child to learn in many ways.
We are confident that your child’s schooling experience will continue the learning process started at birth and supported by you for the past few years. We are excited to assist each child to continue to develop in many ways throughout his or her school experiences.
By combining your knowledge and ours, we can assist your child to become a self confident, lifelong learner. Please call your child’s principal at any time if you have any questions about your child’s education.
Welcome to school on the Sunshine Coast!
Patrick Bocking, Superintendent of Schools