Policies and Bylaws
In 2009 the Board of Education for School District 46 (Sunshine Coast) underwent an external review to ensure its organizational structure best supports student success. The review recommended a new, cohesive governance model that would reflect the Sunshine Coast community going into the future. In response, the board restructured its policies around clear roles for the board and administration, clear delegation of responsibilities to administration, and strong, community-based vision, mission, values and strategic planning set by the elected Board. The Board reviewed the policy manual in 2015/2016 to update and align policies with the 2015/2019 Strategic Plan.
In support of considered, ethical and strategic stewardship of all aspects of School District 46, the Board is ultimately responsible for all district policy, which is divided into three areas:
1. Governance policies are general in nature and are set by the Board of Trustees to articulate and define important objectives, principles or values; and to define roles, responsibilities and authority.
2. Bylaws are passed by the Board of Trustees to clearly set out the specific rules, not covered by legislation, by which the Board will be governed. Bylaws are also legally required for budgets, capital projects, disposal of lands and school closures, but these specific bylaws are not presented as part of district policy.
3. Administrative regulations are operational in nature and allow for consistent and effective operations in an organization or a department. The Board delegates administrative regulations to the Superintendent of Schools to develop in a transparent process that includes community input.
1. Foundational Statements
2. Role of the Board
3. Role of the Trustee
4. Role of the Chair
5. Role of Board Committees
6. Trustee Orientation and Professional Development
7. Trustee Donations
8. Conflict of Interest
10. District Administration
11. Role of the Superintendent
12. Role of Secretary Treasurer
13. Annual Budget Development
14. Evaluation of District Administration
15. Decentralized Decision-Making
16. Neighbourhood Schools
17. Environmental Sustainability
18. Local Purchasing
19. Partnerships and/or Corporate Sponsorships
20. Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Brochure
21. District Email
22. Whistle Blower Protection
News & Updates
Please read the most recent edition of the SD46 Parent Newsletter. ...
Mon., Apr 17 '17 @ 04:34PM
Read more on the latest school district updates from the Superintendent. ...
Wed., Apr 5 '17 @ 10:27PM
Annually after Spring Break, School District No. 46 (Sunshine Coast) announces principal or administrative changes in the district for the...
Wed., Mar 29 '17 @ 04:32PM
Two groups of students are leading awareness and energy saving actions this week in School District 46 – Roberts Creek...
Wed., Mar 8 '17 @ 04:52PM