Maggie de Vries was Writer-in-Residence on the Sunshine Coast April 25-29, 2016. The students in John Lussier's Grade 6-7 class at Roberts Creek Elementary worked with Maggie every morning and shared their work with an audience of fellow students and parents on Friday morning. Every student showed tremendous growth and development in their writing over the week and the students and Maggie provided positive feedback to all the writers. Everyone in the class had the courage to stand up and present their work!
During the week, Maggie also visited Madeira Park, Halfmoon Bay and Davis Bay Elementary Schools, meeting teachers and students in Grades K-6.
She shared stories and read from her books and even shared her first writing journal that she started when she was 7!
This wonderful opportunity was made possible through the financial contributions of the SC Festival of the Written Arts, School District No. 46 (Sunshine Coast), the Leon and Thea Koerner Foundation and the Sunshine Coast Regional District.
Literacy Week was January 25th, 2016
Cedar Grove Elementary:
- Monday: Beatles tunes and PA sing-a-long; dress as your favourite storybook character; assembly to acknowledge students who might like to explain their costume or share a story
- Tuesday: morning stories, songs and student prose; student book swap; Literary Terms 4 Corners activities
- Wednesday: Authors, readers and illustrators will visit classes; afternoon Beatles sing-a-long
- Thursday: Gibsons Public Library will do a brief presentation about the Pop Up Library and issue library cards; assembly
- Friday: multi-age reading stations, fortune telling, campfire cooking and reading recipes, Rootword game, dog stories with Keno, sentence relay, graffiti board, animation workshop, synonym relay, Shakespeare colourful phrase game, afternoon family ready rally with tents and reading forts.
Davis Bay Elementary:
- Monday: Drop Everything and Read. Over the PA there will be a special sound indicating it is time to "drop everything and read". A triangle sound will end this. Students are to have a book with them at all times.
- Tuesday (Sexual Health Workshop Day): Classroom activities and Community Readers - parents please let us know if you can be here for a bit this day to read with students, hang out in the foyer, playground or hallway and read.
- Wednesday: Come as your favourite story book character
- Thursday (Square Dancing workshop day for all students too). Staff Book Choice Challenge! Students are challenged to guess which book belongs to which staff member. Students who guess correctly will have their name entered in a draw for some books and maybe even a school tattoo or a poster!
- Friday is PJ Day with stuffy: We'll start the day in the gym/library reading together with friends and family... and some yummy hot chocolate served up by our wonderful PAC.
Halfmoon Bay Elementary:
- Guest readers from the community will read to classes
- Book Bingo
- Character dress up
- Display of favourite books of teacher and students
- Breakfast and Books (Bookworm Breakie)
- On Thursday, Ricky’s All Day Grill is serving a pajama pancake breakfast to all parents and students and then parents/caregivers will read with students in the gym
- On Friday there is a Family Pancake Breakfast which is combined with a Family Read
West Sechelt Elementary:
- Monday: Dress up like a book character day!
- Tuesday: Buddy Reading time
- Wednesday: Drop Everything and Read. Library activities during prep classes that day.
- Thursday: Sechelt Public Library's children's librarian visit to school.
- Friday: Families are invited for a pancake breakfast in the gym and a West Sechelt "Read in"
Celebration of Authors, Books and Community (CABC) is a joint initiative of the Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts and School District No. 46. Established in 2007, CABC brings Canadian writers into Sunshine Coast schools and classrooms to inspire, encourage and support student development as readers, writers and storytellers.
2015-16 CABC programming got underway in late November with author Elizabeth Stewart meeting with students at Chatelech and Elphinstone Secondary Schools to talk about her latest book. Blue Gold is a story about three girls on three continents whose lives are linked by coltan (“blue gold”), a mineral that is used in the production of many electronic devices, including cell phones.
Award-winning author Barbara Nickel brings her new book, The Boy Asked the Wind, a beautifully written and illustrated book about winds around the world, including those in the Canadian west, off the coast of Central America, Capetown, and the Middle East. Barbara Nickel will be visiting three elementary schools on Family Literacy Day, Wednesday, January 27.
Michael Christie, a huge hit at the 2015 Festival of the Written Arts, will return to the Sunshine Coast on Thursday and Friday, February 18 and 19 to read from and discuss his book, If I Fall, If I Die, a book about a young man who ventures outside of the home he shares with his agoraphobic mother and is thrust headfirst into early adulthood and its inherent dangers.headfirst into the throes of early adulthood and the dangers that everyday life offers
Richard Van Camp returns to the Sunshine Coast to serve as writer-in-residence in School District No. 46 from February 1 to 5. Van Camp, a member of the Dogrib (Tlicho) Nation of Fort Smith, NWT is a an acclaimed storyteller and author of books for babies, children and adults, graphic novels and comics. Richard Van Camp will be sharing stories at the Sunshine Coast Art Centre in Sechelt on Tuesday, February 2 at 7 pm. The public is welcome and admission is by donation.
Books by Elizabeth Stewart, Michael Christie and Richard Van Camp are also included in this year’s Coast Reads. Please see www.coastreads.org for more information about this initiative.
The 2014 Sunshine Coast District Literacy Plan was approved by the Board of Education at its meeting on June 10, 2014. Please click on this link to read the Plan.
It Takes a Whole Community
Please peruse the Literacy Plan for the Sunshine Coast – submitted to the BC Ministry of Education by the Sunshine Coast Literacy Council and School District No. 46 (Sunshine Coast) – revised June 2013.
News & Updates
Annually after Spring Break, School District No. 46 (Sunshine Coast) announces principal or administrative changes in the district for the...
Wed., Mar 29 '17 @ 04:32PM
Two groups of students are leading awareness and energy saving actions this week in School District 46 – Roberts Creek...
Wed., Mar 8 '17 @ 04:52PM
Read more on the latest school district updates from the Superintendent. ...
Fri., Mar 3 '17 @ 10:27PM
Jessica Wollen is a Teacher and a Certified Sexual Health Educator. She teaches Body Science and Sexual Health Education to...
Thu., Mar 2 '17 @ 10:49PM